- Didier Lett, Ruth Mazo Karras, Sexuality in Medieval Europe. Doing unto others - PhilPapers
- ISBN 13: 9780415289634
- Shop now and earn 2 points per $1
- Similar books and articles
Quick Links Amazon.
- Project MUSE - Sexuality in Medieval Europe: Doing unto Others (review).
- Epidemic Of The Undead?
- Sexuality in Medieval Europe: Doing Unto Others | Reviews in History?
- Through The Years: The Quarterbacks Of The New York Giants!
- Too Late to Tell (The Jennifer Grey Mysteries).
- Sexuality in Medieval Europe: Doing Unto Others by Ruth Mazo Karras.
- Legend of the Pink Toe (Fur Angels Book 2)?
Amazon Kindle 0 editions. Audible 0 editions. CD Audiobook 0 editions.
- Sexuality in Medieval Europe: Doing Unto Others.
- Sexuality in Medieval Europe: Doing Unto Others?
- Popular covers.
Project Gutenberg 0 editions. Google Books — Loading Local Book Search.
Didier Lett, Ruth Mazo Karras, Sexuality in Medieval Europe. Doing unto others - PhilPapers
Swap 13 want. Popular covers see all 8 covers. Rating Average: 4. Is this you? Become a LibraryThing Author.
ISBN 13: 9780415289634
Recently added by. NOOK Book. Challenging the way the Middle Ages have been treated in general histories of sexuality, Sexuality in Medieval Europe shows how views at the time were conflicted and complicated; there was no single medieval attitude towards sexuality any more than there is one modern attitude. Focusing on marital sexual activity, as well as behavior that was seen as transgressive, the chapters cover such topics as chastity, the role of the church, and non-reproductive activity.
Combining an overview of research on the topic with original interpretations, Ruth Mazo Karras demonstrates that medieval culture developed sexual identities that were quite distinct from the identities we think of today, yet were still ancestral to our own. Using a wide collection of evidence from the late antique period until the fifteenth century, this fully revised third edition has been updated to include the latest scholarship throughout, including expanded coverage of Islamic and Jewish cultures and new ideas on how medieval sexual violence relates to the modern world.
Shop now and earn 2 points per $1
A new companion website supplements the text featuring an interactive timeline of key events, links to key primary sources, and references to further reading. Sexuality in Medieval Europe is essential reading for those who study medieval history and culture. See All Customer Reviews. Shop Books.
Similar books and articles
Read an excerpt of this book! Add to Wishlist. USD Sign in to Purchase Instantly.
Overview Challenging the way the Middle Ages have been treated in general histories of sexuality, Sexuality in Medieval Europe shows how views at the time were conflicted and complicated; there was no single medieval attitude towards sexuality any more than there is one modern attitude. Table of Contents List of figures Acknowledgments 1 Sex and the Middle Ages 2 The sexuality of chastity 3 Sex and marriage 4 Women outside of marriage 5 Men outside of marriage Afterword: medieval and modern sexuality Further reading Index.
Average Review. Write a Review. Related Searches.
I had to read this book for class. It's pretty interesting and definately not nearly as boring as I would have expected. She is the author of four books and numerous articles on various aspects of medieval social and cultural history, gender, and sexuality. Ruth Mazo Karras. The sexuality of chastity.
- Sexuality in Medieval Europe.
- Die Bibliothek (German Edition).
- Manual de Discursos de Alcaldes y Concejales (Spanish Edition);
- The Autobiography of Ltc John (Jack) H. Adams from 1931 to 2011: Volume 2.